Monday, May 5, 2008

Getting Started

Today I arrived at Hero's Barbering Academy & Shop at around 10 pm. Dan Riccio was waiting for me at the Shop eager to show me around his place. The barbering shop consists of 6 chairs, with 3 active barbers working at all times. It also has 2 large plasma TV's, one in the waiting room and one in the shop. The shop is ridiculously clean and modernized. All of Mr. Riccio's equipment is state of the art. After he introduced me to his barbers and showed me around his shop, he brought me downstairs to the Academy. 
The Academy provides several different careers, including, cosmetology, barbering, and spa training. There are only 10 students currently enrolled in the barbering school. It is easy for these students to excel because there are 9 instructors. A normal day consists of 45 minutes of book work. Here instructors address material needed for the certification test. After that students work hands on with manicans. Usually once a day clients will pay a very small fee to have their hair cut by students.

No comments: