Monday, May 19, 2008

Day off

Today the school was closed so I spent the day traveling to different barber shops in the area. Of the three barber shops I went to only 1 was helpful. Manny's, on main street in Monroe, Connecticut, had job openings and was told me that they're always looking for new barbers. He said, "as long as your certified we could find you hours". This was good to know, in case I ever decided to pursue a haircutting career. Job availabilty is rare in today's society so this gives me more incentive to look more seriously into the barbering occupation. The other two barber shops were more old fashioned. The 3 barbers is a shop run by 3 older italian men. They each work all day and have no interest in hiring new employees. Who could blame them, they are one of the most famous  shops in the fairfield county region. They didn't even hold job applications for prospective barbers. The third barbershop V.I.P in Bridgeport didn't take me seriously when I asked him about his business and applying for a job. However, they did have sign up information for becoming a barber.

1 comment:

Scott A. said...

James -

Sounds like it was a productive day even though you weren't in the shop. Keep thinking and working on gathering information about the job market for barbers and what it takes to run your own business. Maybe you can sit down with mr. riccio and ask him some questions about it. Hope all is well and try to post your weekly report to the blog, not just the title.

Scott